Sunday, June 12, 2011

And Ask Many Questions Like Children Often Do

One of the political blogs I read is Andrew Sullivan. On Sundays, he often just posts poems, videos and links to other blogs about God and religion. I kinda like that. Like a blog Sabbath.

Since I like that, I thought I'd do the same.

I have a great affinity for religions, but I practice none. I consider my self agnostic, at best. An atheist heathen, at worst. Are pagans the same as heathens? Not sure, so I'm possibly a pagan, too.

I'm drawn to the rituals of religions, the disciplines of them, the art, the music, even the costumes. But the actual beliefs that support them all I find empty and hypocritical. Like a learned historian who cringes when politicians mangle history and spit on what they should learn from it, religions are steeped in mythology and the stories overlap and repeat themselves over and over to the point I can't take them seriously.

I know faith is supposed to transcend all that. But it just doesn't for me.

That doesn't stop me from seeking God. I think I look everyday. Is that praying? Don't know.

I do see God in the wonders of life. Nature, music, art, the relationships people have. I think God lives there and in all the spaces in between. This requires no faith on my part. Nor does it require a religion to support it. It just is. And that mystery is also God.

That book and movie "Eat, Pray, Love" was fun and all, but it got on my nerves because the woman was basically a rich, single woman who had the luxury of leaving her life behind and travel the world to go find herself. Whatever. Tell me the spiritual journey of a working mother of four then I'll take you seriously. Tell me the spiritual life of a guy who has to work two jobs to support his family. Those are stories I'll believe. Show me where they find grace. Show me their beliefs when they're exhausted at 11:00pm.

Anywho, I am strongly attracted to religions. I like books and movies about nuns. Or any female in any religious sect. I wish they had convents for part-time agnostics. Like the Army Reserves. Serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd take a vow of silence and sweep floors and wash windows and go to vespers and all that jazz.

No comments: